The Emmy Awards celebrate primetime’s elite, and it also kicks off a whole new season of awards shows. The stars were out on the red carpet and from their manis to their shoes, I caught all the action. Here are my picks for the best and worst dressed stars of the night.
7. Taylor Schilling of Orange is the New Black wore an elegant Thakoon gown, proving you can wear white after labour day.
6. Kaley Cuoco is usually a fashion victim, but this year she looked pretty in an oxblood-coloured Vera Wang gown. I love the sheer fabric which lets you see the corset boning and the cascading sheer ruffles. The colour is beautiful and unique amongst a sea of black and white dresses.
5. Christina Hendricks showed off her curves in a Christian Siriano gown. I love the lace cap sleeves and cut of this dress which shows off her assets but not too much. Her hair matches the 1940s vibe as well.
4. Michelle Dockery is my controversial pick in this colourblock Prada gown. At first, I didn’t like it, but now I love the clash of colours, the analogous hem and her matchy-matchy clutch. This look screams high fashion and encapsulates what fall is all about!
3. Elisabeth Moss looked incredible in a black and white Andrew Gn gown. The black and white trend isn’t going anywhere and Moss looks beautiful in this dress.
2. Rose Byrne killed it in a minimalist, pink Calvin Klein gown. I love the slit of midriff, the pale rose colour and the simple jewelry. She’s a true standout!
1. Allison Williams was stunning in this cobalt blue Ralph Lauren gown. The cut is sleek and understated, and exudes an old-world glamour. I love that she kept things simple with her jewelry and let her hair down and natural.
7. Jessica Pare… what happened to you? The stunning Mad Men actress wore a horrible wrinkly turquoise gown that doesn’t even look like it’s sitting on her breasts. The worst part of this look is definitely her black strappy sandals which draw the eye down and look clunky. The high-low hem has GOT to go.
6. Emily Deschanel wore a blah one-shouldered blue lace gown by Houghton. The gown was custom-made and is vegan, but the cool colour is washing out her skin tone and the one shoulder cut is so 2009.
5. Aubrey Plaza wore a matronly lace gown by Marios Schwab. I love black lace, but this look is too heavy for this time of year in L.A. I also don’t understand the different coloured jewels on her collar and the appliques on her sleeves.
4. Zosia Mamet wore an awful watercolour gown with a puzzling-looking breast piece. There’s not much to say about this look other then it’s just… bad.
3. You can always count on Nancy O’Dell on making my worst dressed list. The host wore a colourblock v-neck dress that looked like it belonged on one of the Housewives of Some County.
2. Yet another black lace gown is making my list, this time it’s worn by Game of Thrones star, Lena Headey. The actress wore the lace slit gown with a pair of white pumps which is so 80s and incredibly tacky for a red carpet event like the Emmys.
1. The worst-dressed star of the night is without a doubt, Lena Dunham. It looks like she took one of her awkward thrifted wardrobe outfits from the show and enlarged it into a gown. The neckline accentuates her smaller chest and widens her at the same time. She’s completely engulfed by the large-scale print and the colour is making her look very pale. I hope next time she hires a stylist who can pin down the perfect mix of quirk and class that makes Dunham special!