Last night, the stars gathered for the 2017 Sag Awards. I love this awards show because it recognizes diverse talent, TV and movies and the unique X factor of a killer ensemble cast. There were many trends on the red carpet, from updated LBDs to deep jewel tones and velvet. Here is my best and worst dressed 2017 SAG Awards list.
Best Dressed: 2017 SAG Awards
5. Kate Hudson took a bit of a fashion risk in this Christian Dior gown. I love the horizontal sheer panels, as well as the on-trend “Christian Dior” waistband peeking through. The whole look is very couture and fashion forward.
4. Michelle Dockery stunned in this vertical striped Elie Saab gown. I always look forward to see what she is wearing, and I love that she takes risks. This gown definitely paid off and really plays up her porcelain skin.
3. Emma Stone was the winner of the night, but dazzled in this sexy lace and floral gown by Alexander McQueen. This look is very wearable and I see many diffusion designers copying the contrast between the lace bustier and the feminine moody floral print.
2. Brie Larson looked stunning in this simple, white Jason Wu gown.
1. Taraji P. Henson looked resplendent in this organza, embroidered Reem Acra dress. I love the delicate details and the gorgeous mauve colour.
Worst Dressed: 2017 SAG Awards
5. Nicole Kidman looked like a sequined parrot in a Gucci gown. I can’t get over the bright colour, sequins, and massive macaw epaulettes! It looks so cartoonish and silly.
4. Judith Light wore this cobalt blue velvet Tom Ford gown, and while it’s a great colour, I’m not loving all the overdone panels.
3. Amy Landecker wore an animal print suit. And while I usually love a suit on the red carpet, this one looks dated and ill-fitted. The print is also overpowering and looks too off-the-rack for a red carpet. A simple tuxedo, or a daring jewel tone suit would have looked a lot more elegant for this black tie event. To cement this fashion faux pas, another attendee, Jennifer Lewis, also wore the same get up on the red carpet!
2. Gwendoline Christie wore an ill-fitting sequin jumpsuit on the red carpet, that looks like it was 2007 Zara from a cheap consignment shop. Again, I love tailoring, but it needs to be tailored.
1. No one told Danielle Brooks that peplum tops are out. I’m so confused with this look. It feels really stiff and doesn’t flatter her figure at all. The pants are too long and the high neck makes it look like she has a floating head. This is just unfortunate all around.
Photos by Rob Latour/REX/Shutterstock.