The red carpet at the Met Gala is always exciting, and this year, the stars pulled out all the stops to celebrate the new exhibition, China Through the Looking Glass. Here are my picks for the Met Gala 2015 best and worst dressed looks.
9. Reese Witherspoon wore a perfect red look with a Jason Wu gown and stunning Tiffany necklace.
8. I hated Miley Cyrus’ Alexander Wang dress at first, but it is growing on me. The sexy cutouts are very daring and I love the shape of the gown. The only thing that’s a miss for me is the grey hair and lack of makeup.
7. Zendaya wore Fausto Puglisi and I adore the whole look. Her headdress is very cool, and the short length and chic pumps keep the look youthful. 6. Lizzy Caplan stunned in this elegant Donna Karan Atelier gown. The champagne colour is very pretty, and I love the way the dress drapes around one shoulder.
3. Gigi Hadid wore a gorgeous red DVF gown.
1. Kim Kardashian in Roberto Cavalli. This dress was STUNNING. Everyone might compare this look to Beyonce’s from three years ago, but she looks perfect. Definitely redeemed herself from the floral couch fiasco a couple years back! I also love that the dress has subtle Chinese motifs (with embroidered designs) without overpowering the gown or making a stereotypical statement.
7. Chloe Grace Moretz wore this Coach mini dress that looks like it belongs at a garden party and not the red carpet of the Met Gala. Even though she’s young, this mediocre frock doesn’t quite cut it for this event.
5. Kris Jenner wore this Balmain dress with a belt that looks like it came straight from a consignment shop in West Palm. The tacky toe cap criss cross shoes and high neckline doesn’t help this look either. Why was she invited again? Or does she count as Kim’s +1 for being her Momager?
4. Rihanna had everyone talking with this insane yellow cape by Guo Pei. It’s a lot of look, but I’m not loving it. I give her props for actually wearing a Chinese designer, and the handiwork is incredible…
3. SJP wore all the cultural-appropriating things. While I like the touch of red poppies on the dress, the patchwork trim, jade bangles and ridiculous headdress is insane. She looks insane. I think it’s really cool her dress was designed by H&M as part of their Conscious Collection, and her headpiece is a work of art, but it would have given her look more credence if a Chinese designer was involved with the look… this is just stereotypical and too costumey to be artful.
2. Solange Knowles wore this Giles Deacon alien satellite dish on the red carpet. I’m kind of getting annoyed of her bizarre fashion schtick. 1. The worst dressed at the 2015 Met Gala was a twofer. The Queen of Pop Madonna and Katy Perry both wore tacky Moschino gowns on the red carpet. I’m used to seeing this kind of thing on Katy Perry, but the look was trashy and out of touch with this year’s theme. Madonna’s toned down version of Katy’s Moschino look included a “Rebel Heart” tag on her dress. The Met Gala is not the place for shameless self-promotion, and this looks like a desperate attempt. Their lacklustre presence on the red carpet and their LACK of presence on the music charts begs us to ask… where’s Taylor Swift?